Pasticciotto ~ custard filled pastry

 


Hello dear friends,
today's recipe is the most popular pastry from my hometown, Lecce - Italy. It's called "pasticciotto" {pron: PAST-ITCH-OTTOH}. It's a pastry that consists of a shell of sweet dough filled with a luscious custard. It usually accompanies a big cup of cappuccino in the morning. I can eat it any time of the day! The particular shape is what makes its originality. I recently found the perfect mold to be able to recreate this famous pastry {you can find a link below}, I have to say I'm very proud of how it came out. If I close my eyes and give a bite to my pasticciotto I feel I'm suddenly sitting in a cafe' downtown Lecce. Isn't it nice to dream?


INGREDIENTS for 4-5 pastries

For the dough:
  • 4 EGG yolks
  • 1 cup SUGAR
  • 2 cup + 1 tbsp. all purpose FLOUR
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted BUTTER, softened
  • 1/4 cup of MILK

  1. Mix all the ingredients starting with the yolks and the sugar. 
  2. Add the butter, then the flour and the milk. Do not over mix. This dough is ready to be used. Put aside while making the custard.


For the custard:
  • 3 EGG yolks
  • 3 tbsp. SUGAR
  • 3 tbsp. FLOUR 
  • 2 cups MILK
  • 1 stripe of LEMON PEEL

  1. Start by warming-up the milk with the lemon peel.
  2. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in a sauce pan until pale yellow.
  3. Add slowly the flour, alternating with the warm milk (take out the peel, you need it only to give flavor to the milk).
  4. Continuously stir on medium heat until creamy, it will suddenly become firm. Never stop stirring, turn off the heat once the custard is firm.
  5. Pre-heat oven at 350 F.
  6. Grease each mold with butter and flour, roll a piece of dough and shape into the bottom of the pan. Fill it with custard until the brim. Cover with another sheet of rolled dough and form a little dome.
  7. OPTIONAL: Beat an extra egg to gently wet the surface before baking, it will create a beautiful golden color once it's cooked.
  8. Repeat for each mold until dough and custard are gone.
  9. Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm or room-temperature.

Enjoy!!!

 

 
You can find the mold through this link. 
{I'm an amazon associate, I will receive a small commission if you buy this product through my link.}

Comments